Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Making Mosaics

By Ruben Altidor

I was senior in high school when I participated in the first science fair. An exhibit of the science project is on the wall in the museum. I am looking at it right now. I can't believe how far I have come in this time. This week I helped a group of eight children create a piece of mosaic art that is now also at the museum.

I have just graduated with an electrical engineering degree from the Turks and Caicos Islands Community College. While in college I began assisting with the TCNM kids program. I am an engineer. Far from an artist. But this summer I led a whole group of students completing artwork.

We just finished this week creating mosaics. We focused on our islands culture and did images such as The Lighthouse, Boats on the Sea, and Saltracking. I led the Saltraking group. We smashed and assembled various colourful tiles together. Dr. Neal Hitch took some time working on the Lighthouse and couldn't finish laying out all of the mosaics in one day.

I came by the museum days after and missed checking out the mosaics until Dr. Hitch reminded me to take a look at them. They came out pretty great, even better than I expected. I was really impressed by the creative artwork of these young kids. The results were a sight for sore eyes - so put on shades while looking at them (talk about sun in the islands)! Aliate, Neal and others were judging the mosaics and found them all to be winners, but for me the saltrakers are the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment